[custom_headline type=”left” level=”h5″ looks_like=”h5″]One of the biggest problems facing the Body of Christ in these last days is selfishness. You see selfish people view everything according to how it profits them and them alone.
Did they like the service?
Did they like their pastor’s sermon?
Did they like the praise and worship service?
It’s all about them.[/custom_headline]
Selfishness is being concerned and caring only for yourself and being concerned only for your own interests, never even considering others. In fact, selfishness is the exact opposite of divine love. Since the Spirit of God dwells within us to assist us in walking in love then we are clearly resisting Him when we are selfish and self-centered.
The Scriptures tell us that selfish people will be a sure sign that we are living in the last days. In fact, the Holy Spirit considers selfishness “perilous times.” Look at these verses below and you’ll see what I mean.
[blockquote cite=”2 Timothy 3:1-5 (KJV)” type=”left”]“1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, 3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, 4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; 5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.”[/blockquote]
Again I want you to notice that the very first thing the Holy Spirit calls “perilous times” is people being in love with themselves. But we aren’t supposed to be living unto ourselves but unto the Lord.
This passage lists clearly the characteristics of selfishness. I’ll define each of them for you below. Then do a quick check of your own life to be certain that none of these things is operating in you.
- COVETEOUSNESS – having a greedy desire for more and all for yourself.
- BOASTERS – a braggart who wanders around telling everyone who will hear how great and special they are.
- PROUD – this describes someone who considers themselves to be above others. In other words, they have an exalted opinion of themselves!
- BLASPHEMERS – this is someone who mocks, slanders and verbally abuses others.
- DISOBEDIENT TO PARENTS – here we find a person who shows no respect and refuses to yield to authority.
[highlight type=”dark”](Why are children disobedient? Because they are selfish.)[/highlight]
- UNTHANKFUL – this selfish person thinks they deserve what they have so they are ungrateful for it.
- UNHOLY – someone who uses profane, impure, crude or rude speech.
[highlight type=”dark”](The reason most people talk filthy is simply to draw attention to themselves).[/highlight]
- WITHOUT NATURAL AFFECTION – this is someone who is callous, hard-hearted and unloving to their own family and/or offspring.
- TRUCE BREAKERS – because selfish people always want to have their own way they only keep covenants as long as it benefits them personally. When they feel that they are no longer benefiting they are quick to break covenants.
[highlight type=”dark”](This is why so many believers connect to a local church and pastor but then bail out and run off if they don’t get their way).[/highlight]
- FALSE ACCUSERS – these are liars pure and simple. Selfish people will always cover themselves and will lie on others to make them look bad while making themselves look good.
- INCONTINENT – this is someone with no self-control and who lets their flesh dominate them continually.
- FIERCE – if they feel as though they have been crossed, or if someone disagrees with them then they handle it in as a contentious and hurtful way as possible.
- DESPISERS OF THOSE THAT ARE GOOD – selfish people are jealous if someone else does good and gets blessed or promoted and despise them for it.
- TRAITORS – selfish people have no loyalty at all and will betray you at the first opportunity.
- HEADY – this describes a stubborn, headstrong individual.
[highlight type=”dark”](Selfish people always insist on their own way).[/highlight]
- HIGHMINDED – this is someone who compares everyone and everything to their way of thinking. Then when someone does not fit their “mold” they judge and criticize them.
- LOVERS OF PLEASURE MORE THAN LOVERS OF GOD – selfish people aren’t happy unless they are constantly having their flesh entertained.
[highlight]Wow! What a list! Yet this is all the result of selfishness in the last days.[/highlight]
Don’t allow selfishness any room in your life for another minute. Repent of it and ask the Lord to deliver you and help you live like a true Christian in these last days. And determine to walk in love no matter who else does or doesn’t. Love is the winners way!